Merging RL and SL architecture is a true dedication and this short film is an example of Miltone Marquette & Summer’s passion within #secondlife. This project took almost a year to replicate and the attention to detail is truly jaw dropping
Miltone Marquette replicates yet another architectural structure designed by the infamous Frank Lloyd Wright – If you would like to visit this location please IM Miltone Marquette inworld
Fallingwater History “There in a beautiful forest was a solid high rock-ledge rising beside a waterfall and the natural thing seemed to be to cantilever the house from that rock-bank over the falling water … Then came of course Mr. Kaufmann’s love for the beautiful site. He loved the site where the house was built and liked to listen to the waterfall. So that was the prime motive in the design. At least it is there, and he lives intimately with the thing he loves.” ~Frank Lloyd Wright Fallingwater is less than a two-hour drive southeast of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, located halfway between the villages of Mill Run and Ohiopyle on PA Route 381. The private residence is magnificently cantilevered over a waterfall. The masterpiece by great American architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, is one of the greatest examples of organic architecture ever created. In 1934, wealthy Pittsburgh department store owner, Edgar J. Kaufmann and his wife, Liliane, hired Wright to design a summer home on their property in Mill Run. The Kaufmann family, Edgar Sr., Liliane, and son Edgar Jr., enjoyed spending time in the mountains and decided to make it a permanent mountain retreat to replace their deteriorating cabin. The house was set amid 5,000 acres of natural wilderness that juts out over a waterfall on Bear Run and incorporated much of what was already on the site, including rocks, trees, and a rushing creek. In the late 1930’s, concrete technology was being pushed to its limits. The construction of Fallingwater further pushed the envelope. All construction work was completed by local craftsmen. The building materials included sandstone quarried nearby, reinforced concrete, steel and glass. Large reinforced concrete trays comprise the living and sleeping quarters, which cantilever over a 30’ waterfall, while vertical stone cores help anchor the trays. Wright saw the cantilever as a profoundly natural principle, as in the outstretched arm, or a tree branch growing from the trunk. He thought that engineers had failed to grasp its real potential and with some imagination, that it could become the most romantic and most free of all principles in construction. Though the house extends vertically above the rock ledges, the large, reinforced concrete trays give the house a decidedly horizontal orientation. In conjunction with the horizontal trays, Wright utilized very low ceilings throughout the house to give the interior spaces a feeling of shelter. In typical Wright fashion, he designed built-in furniture for the Main House (1936-1938), as well as the Guest House (1939). Only two colors were used throughout the interior of the house. Wright used a light ochre color on the concrete and his signature Cherokee red for the steel door and window casings. Wright also gave consideration to the exterior, as well as the flooring. The stonework was laid in random courses of approximately 17” heights to give the house a more natural, organic appearance. The Guest House, which also housed the servants’ quarters, is considered the “detached fourth floor” of the home. It connects to the main house via a folded concrete canopy that covers stone steps leading down the hill. The original budget for the entire project was not to exceed $30,000. However, at completion, Fallingwater cost the Kaufmann’s a grand total of $155,000. This included the architect’s fee of $8,000. Fallingwater was the epitome of modern design for any structure built before the 1930’s and set the benchmark of modern style and forms for any building constructed since. Fallingwater remained the weekend home of the Kaufmann family from 1937 to 1963, when the house, its contents and grounds were donated to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy by the Kaufmann’s son, Edgar Kaufmann, Jr. The Conservancy opened the property to the public in 1964. Since then, more than four million visitors have toured the house. Fallingwater is the only Frank Lloyd Wright house that is open to the public with all the original furnishings, artwork, and setting intact. Fallingwater has been designated as a National Historic Landmark and has been named by the American Institute of Architects as the 2000 “Building of the Century”. “Fallingwater is famous because the house in its setting embodies a powerful ideal—that people today can learn to live in harmony with nature … As technology uses more and more natural resources, as the world’s population grows even larger, harmony with nature is necessary for the very existence of mankind.” ~ Edgar Kaufmann, Jr.